Wednesday 23 April 2008

Day 2 - When Mickey met Mikey

No problems with bags or immigration, and we took the Super Shuttle down to Anaheim. We're staying just outside Disneyland, literally 100 yards from the main pedestrian entrance.

Being the cynical, stroppy sort, I had imagined Disney to be the embodiment of all things Corporate Evil, along with lashings of Sentimental Cheese. Lots of talk of "dreams" and having the slogan "The happiest place on Earth". That is, at least, the viewpoint of my Inner Cynic, you know, the one that stands in the kitchen at parties, muttering about the hosts choice of music.

However, my Inner Cynic had just been attacked by my Inner Eight Year Old, and been battered into submission by one of those toy hammers that squeaks when you hit something, all accompanied by shouts of "Micccckkkey Mooouuuuuse!" It is impossible to be cynical about Disneyland - the whole experience is designed to strip away all that negativity right from the ticket booth and aim straight for the big kid inside you. (*1)

In short, I loved it.

I say this having experienced the place in less than ideal circumstances. It was a bit cold, we were tired and being a Saturday, the place was heaving. None of it mattered, as we just wandered around just taking it all in. From a logisitcal point of view, it is an amzing place. Everywhere you turn, there is something happening, from street entertainment (strolling barbershop quartets, Disney characters) and each area is presented so beautifully. (*2)

Although we didn't make it to the big guns like Space Mountain (the Fastpass machines weren't available) we did see and do some cool things. My favourite was "Honey I Shrunk the Audience", one of those 3D cinema thingies where you wear a pair of glasses and then the screen seems to come alive. It is an incredible effect, and the first time Rick Moranis flies out of the screen and almost into your lap, it is impossible to avoid recoiling in a mix of shock and delight.

It was indicative of the day that Caroline and I simply sat down on Main Street with over an hour to go before the famous parade, simply to share a huge ice cream and wait. Again, on the surface, a bunch of Disney characters singing happy happy, joy joy songs sounds like the most vomit inducing thing in the world, but the whole thing has such an inner delight to it, it is impossible not to be swept along. For sheer imagination, design, coordination it is one of the most impressive things I have seen and after the parade, I really did feel like I was in a happy place. (*3)

Although it got cold, we waited for 9.30 and the famous firework show. It seemed like the world and his dog were gathered in front of the Magic Castle and the first indication that all might not go to plan was an announcement that the fireworks may be delayed or cancelled due to high winds.

No matter, as the show was given the go-ahead.... only to be stopped midway through. Which was a shame, as 60% of the best fireworks show I have ever seen is, well, still the best fireworks show I have ever seen. Music, effects and amazing fireworks.

I've often said about Cadbury World that the great thing about not having kids is that I still get to act like one. At Disneyland, that is true and then some. Yes , if you break it down, it is a bit cheesy and sentimental, but that is to miss the point spectacularly. And if anyone who disagrees, me and my Inner Eight Year Old will give you a good beating with a big plastic lightsabre.


Footnotes from Caroline - 020608.

(*1) I watched Mike's expressions throughout the whole time at Disney - they were of pure and simple delight.  Yes, that of an eight year old and written all over his face from start to finish.  I am hoping that at least one of my photos has recorded this for posterity!  Wonderful.  If I am ever stuck for anything to do for Mike's birthday in the future, I must remember that a theme park or resort/attraction designed for 8 year olds is worth considering.  Of course it must be convincing and larger than life or else Mr Cynical will return.


(*2) It is brilliant, there's no arguing about that, but having experienced DisneyWorld, FL in 1988, I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed about her elderly relative here in California.  OK, it's the original but I'm not sure that it's the best.  Bigger isn't always better, but I feel that DisneyWorld has built on the experiences of DisneyLand and come up with something that really is The Business.  It's huge - no, gargantuan - and every square foot is packed choc full of stuff to explore.  Having more physical space (there's no way you can explore Disney in FL in a day), the creators of DisneyWorld have really gone to town - quite literally in parts where you can explore various places in the world in mini settlements representing each country.  The place really is enormous though and I cannot emphasise that enough.  The public transport (everything from cute trains to horse drawn carriages and street cars) is there to be used and not just admired like we did at DisneyLand; your feet just don't hold up otherwise!  The rides are fantastic - and the rides that Six Flags/Alton Towers fans would call tame are delightful; not merely ways of saving the soles of your feet as you gently meander through the 3D displays - more I feel ways of transporting you, quite literally into another world with cute, larger than life 3D characters, scenery so close it's all encompassing and sounds and smells that make it just feel real.  I was disappointed to see that there was much less of this at DisneyLand - not that I was going to spoil Mike's delight by pointing this out at the time, but to anyone wondering whether they should visit Disney in California or Disney in Florida first, then for me it's Disney in Florida - hands down.  Of course I am sure that it will have significantly changed in the last 20 years, but I am also sure that the Magic Kingdom will have lost none of its magic and that it is still as delightful now as it was then.  As soon as I buy myself a spare pair of feet I'll just have to go back and see for myself.  I'll keep you posted...  

Just one question though: Don't they do Disney Dollars anymore? Anyone?

(*3) Sitting on the immaculate kerb beside an equally immaculate Main Street (Disney doesn't employ hundreds of street sweepers for nothing) gives the absolute *best* street level view of the parade.  Totally unobstructed.  You need to be sat down about an hour beforehand though and others quickly catch on, so spaces fill up fast.  The parade was my absolute favourite part of the day - for me better than the fireworks at night which were superb, but the parade really is *spectacular*.  My inner artist is bowled over in appreciation of the amazing costumes, the enormous floats and the absolute attention to detail.  Absolutely BRILLIANT.


2 comments:

Sylvia @ Ever After said...

Disney Dollars still excist!

Sylvia @ Ever After said...

and I can't spell! LOL!!! They exist...